Training Course on Research Protocol Development
Date: November 25, 26 and December 03, 2020 (3 Days)
Training Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
A research protocol is a roadmap. In order to have a standard protocol, it is important for the researcher to have a succinct and relevant synopsis that others can review at a glance for a general sense of direction. This course provides the opportunity for early and mid-level researchers to understand and develop a protocol confidently. It is intended to provide complete guidelines to develop a sound protocol for the researchers especially junior and midlevel.
After successfully completing this course you should be able to:
- Formulate a research question
- Develop appropriate goals, aims and objectives for a research question or hypothesis.
- Select appropriate study designs for research
- Demonstrate familiarity with the types of data useful in epidemiological research, design a questionnaire and understand the protocol management
- Demonstrate understanding of the informed consent process, and the process of obtaining ethics committee approval
- Demonstrate appreciation of and improved skills in structuring and writing scientific documents
- Concepts and Principles of protocol development
- Common sections for protocol development
- Protocol Summary
- Description of the research protocol
- Hypothesis to be tested
- Specific Objectives
- Background of the Project including Preliminary Observations
- Research Design and Methods
- Sample Size Calculation and Outcome (Primary and Secondary) Variable(s)
- Data Analysis
- Data Safety Monitoring Plan (DSMP)
- Ethical Assurance for Protection of Human rights
- Use of Animals
- Collaborative Arrangements
- Facilities Available
- Literature Cited
- Budget, budget justification, other support
- Dissemination plan
- Appendix- Biography of the Investigators, CRF and ICF, Check-List etc.
The training will be conducted online via Zoom platform. TTU may arrange a half an hour online pre-training session on using the online platform during training. All participants must attend that session. Participants will need to have a computer with strong internet connection. Participants are requested to install Zoom their computer on their own.
Course Duration and Timing:
The course will be conducted for 3 days. Sessions will be conducted from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM. But at times it may continue beyond this.
Target Participants and Selection:
icddr,b staff members at GS4 to NOB level from the scientific track. Participants will be selected on the basis of the following qualification (in the decreasing order of gravity):
- This course is intended for the icddr,b staff of GS4, GS5, GS6, NOA and NOB level.
- Participated in a course on research methodology and/or epidemiological research methods.
- Currently working on a protocol.
- First come first served (female candidates will get preference as per icddr,b policy)
Only the selected participants will be notified by email or SMS or over telephone.
Course fee and course fee submission procedure:
USD 225 (Two Hundred and Twenty Five Dollar) to be supported by SIDA through Research Administration (RA), icddr,b. The course fee includes tuition fee, training materials and certificate of participation. During application, all applicants should use the budget code 27214322. Upon acceptance, participants will receive a memorandum which they need to forward to their supervisor. Supervisor should forward that mail to email@example.com with ‘Approved’ written in the mail body.
Registration and Application:
All interested participants must apply for registration through online with Budget Code 27214322 from Research Administration (RA).
Each participant will be awarded with a certificate only after successful completion of the course. As per the decision of SLT, no certificate will be issued without 100% participation.
For further information:
Dr. Mohammad Habibur Rahman Sarker
Technical Training Unit
For submission of course fee using memorandum, please contact
Technical training Unit
Last date of application: 15 November 2020